Pott Shrigley

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

POTT-SHRIGLEY, a chapelry in the parish of PRESTBURY, hundred of MACCLESFIELD, county palatine of CHESTER, 4 miles (N.N.E.) from Macclesfield, containing 331 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, endowed with £1200 private benefaction, £600 royal bounty, and £1200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of William Turner, Esq. The chapel is a neat building of stone, with an embattled tower. The Macclesfield and Congleton canal passes through the parish. Freestone and coal abound in the neighbourhood. John Barlow, in 1684, founded a school for ten poor children, with an endowment of about £6 per annum, and £2 for apprenticing one every third year. There is another smaller sum, the bequest of William Lunt, in 1688, for teaching two children.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/CHS/PottShrigley/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library