Atlow

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

ATLOW, a chapelry in that part of the parish of BRADBORNE which is in the hundred of APPLETREE, county of DERBY, 5 miles (E.N.E.) from Ashbourn, containing 197 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Derby, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, endowed with £500 private benefaction, and £400 royal bounty, and in the patronage of H.F. Oakover, Esq. The church is a mean dilapidated structure, situated in the middle of a field. Near the village is a high hill, called "Magger's Bush", which affords an extensive prospect.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Atlow/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library