Barlow

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

BARLOW, a chapelry in the parish of STAVELEY, hundred of SCARSDALE, county of DERBY, 3¾ miles (N.W. by W.) from Chesterfield, containing 708 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Derby, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, endowed with £400 and £10 per annum private benefaction, £400 royal bounty, and £1300 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Rev. F. Gisborne. Here is a free school for ten poor children, with an endowment in land, augmented by a pecuniary donation by the Duke of Rutland.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Barlow/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library