Barrow upon Trent

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

BARROW, a parish partly in the hundred of APPLETREE, and partly in the hundred of MORLESTON-and-LITCHURCH, county of DERBY, 5¾ miles (S.) from Derby, comprising the chapelry of Twyford, the township of Stenson, and the liberty of Synfin with Arleston, and containing 617 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Derby, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, rated in the king's books at £5. 6. 5½., endowed with £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of Lord Scarsdale. The church is dedicated to St. Wilfrid. The parish is bounded on the south by the river Trent, and is intersected by the Trent and Mersey canal. There is a school with an endowment of £8 per annum, the gift of Elizabeth Saly, in 1702, for eight poor girls. A preceptory of Knights Commanders formerly existed here.

ARLESTON, a liberty, joint with Synfin, in that part of the parish of BARROW which is in the hundred of APPLETREE, though locally in the hundred of Repton and Gresley, county of DERBY, 4 miles (S. by W.) from Derby. The population is returned with Synfin. This liberty is in the honour of Tutbury, duchy of Lancaster, and within the jurisdiction of a court of pleas held at Tutbury every third Tuesday, for the recovery of debts under 40s.

SYNFIN, a liberty, joint with Arleston, in that part of the parish of BARROW which is in the hundred of APPLETREE, county of DERBY, 2 miles (S. by W.) from Derby, containing, with Arleston, 74 inhabitants.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/BarrowuponTrent/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library