Blackwell by Alfreton

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

BLACKWELL, a parish in the hundred of SCARSDALE, county of DERBY, 3 miles (N.E. by E.) from Alfreton, containing 457 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Derby, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, rated in the king's books at £5. 4. 2., endowed with £800 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Duke of Devonshire. The church, dedicated to St.Werburgh, was rebuilt in 1826. Coal is obtained in the parish.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/BlackwellAlfreton/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library