Bradwell with Hazlebadge

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

BRADWELL, a hamlet in the parish of HOPE, hundred of HIGH-PEAK, county of DERBY, 4 miles (N.N.E.) from Tideswell, containing 1130 inhabitants, who are chiefly engaged in the lead and calamine works in the vicinity, the manufacture of these articles being carried on to a considerable extent. There are places of worship for Wesleyan Methodists and Unitarians. Elias Marshall, in 1765, assigned a small portion of land, now producing £3 per annum, for which five children are educated gratuitously.

About the year 1807, a huge natural excavation, called the Chrystallized Cavern, was discovered: it is approached by a narrow entrance, leading to a spacious area, the sides of which are lined with chrystallizations of singular beauty, and its separate parts are recognised by different names, such as the Grotto of Paradise, the Grotto of Calypso, Music Chamber, &c.

Bradwell is in the honour of Tutbury, duchy of Lancaster, and within the jurisdiction of a court of pleas held at Tutbury every third Tuesday, for the recovery of debts under 40s. A place called the Castle, near the junction of the Noe and the Bradwell water, is supposed to have been the site of a Roman station, which comprised a square area, measuring three hundred and ten feet by two hundred and seventy: several Roman remains have been found.

HAZLEBADGE, a liberty in the parish of HOPE, hundred of HIGH-PEAK, county of DERBY, 5 miles (N.W. by W.) from Stoney-Middleton, containing 51 inhabitants.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Bradwell/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library