Chelmorton with Blackwell & Flagg

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

CHELMERTON, a chapelry in the parish of BAKEWELL, hundred of HIGH-PEAK, county of DERBY, 4 miles (S.W. by S.) from Tideswell, containing 262 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield, endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £600 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Vicar of Bakewell. The chapel has some remains of a rood-loft and screen work. There are meeting-houses for Wesleyan Methodists and Presbyterians. The village is situated at the foot of an eminence, on the summit of which are two barrows, close to each other, the circumference of the larger being about two hundred and forty feet in this, when opened in 1782, several human skeletons were discovered, in rude stone coffins, with bones and teeth perfect. The manufacture of ribands is carried on here.

There is a charity school, to which Mr. Brocklehurst, who died in 1792, gave £200, now vested in the commissioners of the Leek and Burton road, and producing £13 per annum, which is applied to the instruction of fifteen children. Chelmerton is in the honour of Tutbury, duchy of Lancaster, and within the jurisdiction of a court of pleas held at Tutbury every third Tuesday, for the recovery of debts under 40s.

BLACKWELL, a chapelry in the parish of BAKEWELL, hundred of HIGH-PEAK, county of DERBY, 3¼ miles (S.W.) from Tideswell, containing 58 inhabitants.

FLAGG, a township in the parish of BAKEWELL, hundred of HIGH-PEAK, county of DERBY, 6 miles (W.) from Bakewell, containing 220 inhabitants.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Chelmorton/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library