Clifton

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

CLIFTON, a chapelry in that part of the parish of ASHBOURN which is in the hundred of MORLESTON-and-LITCHURCH, though locally in the hundred of Wirksworth county of DERBY, 1¾ mile (S.W.) from Ashbourn, containing, with the hamlet of Compton, 768 inhabitants.

COMPTON, a hamlet in that part of the parish of ASHBOURN which is in the hundred of MORLESTON-and-LITCHURCH, though locally in the hundred of Appletree, county of DERBY, a mile (S.E.) from Ashbourn. The population is returned with the chapelry of Clifton. A chapel, called Sion chapel, with a house for the minister, and six almshouses attached to it, and under the direction of the trustees of the Countess of Huntingdon's college, were built here by John Cooper, who, by deed in 1801, endowed them with £4500 three per cent, reduced annuities, yielding now a dividend of about £130 per annum, of which sum, £68 is paid to the minister, and £10. 10. to each of the six inmates of the hospital, who, together with the minister, are appointed by the trustees: the premises were substantially repaired in 1824.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Clifton/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library