Earl Sterndale

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

STERNDALE (EARL), a chapelry in the parish of HARTINGTON, hundred of WIRKSWORTH, county of DERBY, 5 miles (S.E. by S.) from Buxton, containing, with Middle Quarter, 417 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Dean's court for the manor of Hartington, endowed with £400 private benefaction, £600 royal bounty, and £1300 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Vicar of Hartington. The chapel was erected in 1829, at the expense of £1000. The Peak Forest and Cromford rail-road passes through the chapelry. Four poor children are instructed for £2 a year, the gift of James Hill, in 1712.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/EarlSterndale/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library