Edale

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

EDALE, a chapelry in the parish of CASTLETON, hundred of HIGH-PEAK, county of DERBY, 5 miles (N.E. by E.) from Chapel en le Frith, containing 435 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Derby, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, endowed with £8 per annum and £200 private benefaction, £400 royal bounty, and £600 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of certain Trustees. The chapel is dedicated to the Holy Trinity. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. A free school, rebuilt in 1819, by Mrs. Bowden, has sundry small endowments. Edale is in the honour of Tutbury, duchy of Lancaster, and within the jurisdiction of a court of pleas held at Chapel en le Frith, for the recovery of debts under 40s.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Edale/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library