Froggatt, Derbyshire

White's Gazetteeer and General Directory of “Sheffield and 20 miles round”, 1862

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2000

FROGGATT is a small village and township, 6 miles N.N.E. from Bakewell, contains 420 acres of land, and in 1861 had 26 houses and 129 inhabitants. The Duke of Rutland and the trustees of the Barlborough Hospital are the principal owners; the former is lord of the manor. Froggatt Edge is an abrupt ridge of lofty rocks on the east. The Wesleyan Methodists have a small stone Chapel, erected 1834. Feast, first Sunday in August.

Fletcher John, stone mason
Hall James, stone getter
Morton William, stone mason
Neal Mr. John
Outram James, victualler, Masons' Arms
Rollinson Mr. William
Smith Isaac, nurseryman and gardener

Farmers.
Buxton John
Buxton William

Gill Joseph
Gregory Charles

Moseley Thomas

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie in June 2000
from of an original edition in the Society of Genealogists' Library.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Froggatt/White1862.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library