Old School in Penn Lane, Melbourne (1)

Recent Photograph of Old School in Penn Lane (1) (Melbourne)

This building was believed first of all to be a Chapel, but it is in fact the former National School, according to a plaque above the door, founded in 1738, and rebuilt in 1822. There were, however, three Chapels on Penn Lane. The Quaker Chapel was demolished c.1987 to make way for a house extension; the original New Jerusalem Chapel is now part of Pennfield House, and the former Independent Chapel was converted into a house (Huntingdon House) in 1874.

The National School is now a Grade II Listed Building - see British Listed Buildings website for details.

(Description provided by Rosemary Lockie,
with thanks to Philip Heath for additional details)


Image contributed by Paul Slater on 1st April 2004.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Melbourne/PennLaneSchool1.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library