Milford

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

MILFORD, a village partly in the township of BELPER, and partly in the hamlet of MAKENY, in the parish of DUFFIELD, hundred of APPLETREE, county of DERBY, 1 mile (S.) from Belper. The population is returned with the parish. This flourishing little place, which is situated on the road from Derby to Chesterfield, Matlock, &c., prior to 1781, consisted only of eight houses, and had a small iron-forge; at that period Messrs. Strutt built a cotton-mill, and subsequently a handsome stone bridge over the river Derwent, which is now a county bridge. An extensive trade is carried on in spinning, dyeing, and bleaching cotton goods, which affords employment to about seven hundred persons. There are places of worship for Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists. A school has been built, and is supported by the proprietors of the different works, for the education of poor children.

MILLFORD, a hamlet in the parish of DUFFIELD, hundred of APPLETREE, county of DERBY, 6 miles (N.) from Derby. The population is returned with the parish; about seven hundred persons are employed in the spinning and bleaching of cotton. There are places of worship for Wesleyan Methodists and Unitarians. There is also a Lancastrian school, in which about four hundred children are taught.
[Ed: two entries for the same place, with slightly different details]

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Milford/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library