Nether Padley, Derbyshire

White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of the County of Derby, 1857

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2000.
See also Neil Wilson's full transcription of White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of the County of Derby, 1857.

PADLEY, NETHER, a small township, pleasantly situated on the Sheffield road, 2¼ miles south by east from Hathersage, and overlooking the vale of the Derwent, which separates this from Woodland Eyam. It contains 260 acres of land, a gritstone soil, and in 1851 had 8 houses, and 47 inhabitants, of whom 27 were males, and 20 females; rateable value £239 18s. Edmund Gillings Maynard, Esq., is sole owner and lord of the manor. The tithes have been commuted, large for £24, lamb and wool £3, vicarial £12 3s.

Directory.- John Crossland, farmer, Maynard Arms Farm; Matthew Crossland farmer; Elizabeth White, vict., Grouse Inn, Common; Thomas White farmer, Tagnes.

[PART OF HOPE PARISH: p.630]

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie in August 2000
from copies of an original edition belonging to the late Dr. J.H. Davis, of Far Sawrey, Cumbria.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/NetherPadley/White1857.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library