Norbury

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

NORBURY, a parish in the hundred of APPLETREE, county of DERBY, 4 miles (S.W.) from Ashbourn, containing, with the township of Roston, 498 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, with the perpetual curacy of Snelstone, in the archdeaconry of Derby, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, rated in the king's books at £15. 16. 0., and in the patronage of Thomas Fitzherbert, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Mary: the chancel is a fine specimen of the decorated style, with large windows exhibiting the original stained glass, which is strikingly beautiful. Here, amongst many ancient monuments of the Fitzherberts, is one to the memory of Sir Anthony, a celebrated writer on the law, who was born at this place, and died in 1538. A free school was founded in 1678, by a bequest from Mr. Thomas Williams, and endowed with land now let for £18 per annum, for which about twenty poor children are instructed.

ROSTON, a township in the parish of NORBURY, hundred of APPLETREE, county of DERBY, 4 miles (S.W.) from Ashbourn. The population is returned with the parish. It is in the honour of Tutbury, duchy of Lancaster, and within the jurisdiction of a court of pleas held at Tutbury every third Tuesday, for the recovery of debts under 40s.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Norbury/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library