Ockbrook

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

OCKBROOK, a parish in the hundred of MORLESTON-and-LITCHURCH, county of DERBY, 5 miles (E. by S.) from Derby, containing 1203 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Derby, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, endowed with £800 private benefaction, £600 royal bounty, and £300 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of John Pares, Esq. The church, dedicated to All Saints, has portions in the Norman style of architecture, and some of later date. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. A National school, erected in 1816, is attended by about two hundred and fifty children.

The rivers Derwent and Trent, and the Derby canal, run through the parish. On the banks of the former are extensive cotton-mills, affording employment to upwards of three hundred of the poor in the manufacture of bobbin and lace thread for the Buckingham, Nottingham, and Loughborough markets. At a short distance from the village is a considerable establishment of the Moravians, founded in 1750; the principal buildings stand in a regular line, and consist of the single sisters' house, containing thirty or forty females, who are employed in fine muslin work, a smaller house for about the same number of single men, and between them a commodious chapel, and a boarding-school for fifty boys and thirty girls.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Ockbrook/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library