St Peter's Church, Parwich

Recent Photograph of St Peter's Church (Parwich)

The present church of Parwich is a rebuild in 1872, of an earlier building dating from Norman times. Fortunately, some parts of the old church were retained, and the tympanum above the original south doorway, which so impressed J.C. Cox, when he wrote about it in the mid-nineteenth century, survives over the west entrance to the present church. Unlike Herefordshire tympani, which often show “Christ in Majesty”, this one tells its story using figures of animals. It was sketched in 1872 by Llewellynn Jewitt, and his sketch was published in The Reliquary Vol XXI p201-4, 1880-1, and a reproduction of his sketch now forms the banner of the website of Parwich & District Local History Society, where further details of the church may also be found.

Also of interest is the fine carving on the lid of the Parish Chest. The Chest was discovered in the boiler house underneath the church in the late 1900s, but only the lid could be saved of the original. It was dated as 17th century, and the guide booklet for the church suggests it was the work of an itinerant wood carver who travelled from church to church, specialising in such work.

Kelly's Directory of 1895 says the rebuilding of the church was at the expense of Sir T.W. Evans, and is very glowing in its praise of the new church.

(Information provided by Rosemary Lockie)


Image contributed by Alf Beard on 17th June 2004.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Parwich/StPeter.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library