Sheldon

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

SHELDON, a chapelry in the parish of BAKEWELL, hundred of HIGH-PEAK, county of DERBY, 3 miles (W.) from Bakewell, containing 143 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield, endowed with £200 private benefaction, £600 royal bounty, and £200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Vicar of Bakewell. The chapel is dedicated to All Saints. There are lead mines in the neighbourhood. Mary Frost, in 1756, gave £200 for apprenticing poor boys. Sheldon is in the honour of Tutbury, duchy of Lancaster, and within the jurisdiction of a court of pleas held at Chapel en le Frith, for the recovery of debts under 40s.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Sheldon/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library