Shirley

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

SHIRLEY, a parish in the hundred of APPLETREE, county of DERBY, 4 miles (S.E. by S.) from Ashbourn, comprising the chapelry of Yeaveley, and the township of Stydd, and containing 589 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Derby, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, rated in the king's books at £6. 13. 4., endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £300 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Rev. W.A. Shirley. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is a small building with a wooden tower. Part of the old manor-house of the Shirleys, who settled here in the reign of Henry II., still remains attached to a farm-house.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Shirley/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library