Spondon

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

SPONDON, a parish in the hundred of APPLETREE, county of DERBY, 3 miles (E. by S.) from Derby, containing, with the chapelry of Stanley, 1543 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Derby, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, rated in the king's books at £6. 14. 7., and in the patronage of the Executors of the late H.D. Lowe, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is in the decorated style of English architecture, and has in the chancel three stone stalls: it has lately undergone a thorough repair, at an expense of £1200, and received an addition of one hundred and eighty sittings, of which one hundred and two are free, the Incorporated Society for the enlargement of churches and chapels having granted £65 towards defraying the expense: in the churchyard is an antique stone, apparently Saxon.

The Derby canal passes through the parish, which was formerly more extensive, the chapelries of Chaddesden, Lockhay, and Stanley, having been recently separated from it, and erected into distinct parishes. The village of Spondon, on a commanding eminence, overlooking the beautiful vale of Derwent, is of considerable size, and the residence of several highly respectable families. The inhabitants are principally employed at the extensive cotton-mills, established here, and in the manufacture of stockings, lace, and net, for the Nottingham market. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. A parochial library has been established. A free school for ten boys was endowed with a rent-charge of £3, by Thomas Gilbert, Esq., in 1657, and an annuity of £5, the gift of the Rev. George Stanhope, in 1727; the school-room was built in 1699. A National school is supported by subscription.

LOCKHAY, or LOCKO, a chapelry in the parish of SPONDON, hundred of APPLETREE, though locally in the hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, county of DERBY, 4 miles (E.N.E.) from Derby. The population is returned with the parish. Here was an hospital of the order of St. Lazarus of Jerusalem, dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene, and subordinate to a house in France; in the reign of Edward III. it was seized by the Crown, and given to the Society of King's Hall, Cambridge.

STANLEY, a chapelry in the parish of SPONDON, hundred of APPLETREE, though locally in that of Morleston and Litchurch, county of DERBY, 6 miles (N.E. by E.) from Derby, containing 357 inhabitants; The chapel is dedicated to St. Andrew. This parish is entitled to one-fifth of the benefits of West Hallam school, founded by John Scargill.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Spondon/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library