Stanton by Bridge

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

STANTON-by-BRIDGE, a parish in the hundred of REPTON-and-GRESLEY, county of DERBY, 6 miles (S. by E.) from Derby, containing 190 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Derby, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, rated in the king's books at £6. 12. 8., and in the patronage of Sir George Crewe, Bart. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is partly in the Norman and partly in the decorated style of architecture. The distinguishing appellation arises from the ancient bridge over the Trent, termed Swarkston bridge, which connects these two parishes.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/StantonBridge/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library