Old Postcard of Stoke - ‘Tanyard Hill’

Old Postcard of ‘Tanyard Hill’ (Stoke)

A view down into the Village of Grindleford, approaching it from the Calver direction. It was named ‘Tanyard Hill’ after the Tanyard on the right at the bottom of the hill, where the road levels out to pass through the village of Grindleford. Until its closure in 1913 the Tanyard was a major source of employment for the village, as indeed has been its replacement, the Grindleford Model Laundry, which now occupies part of the old Tanyard site.

The Wood Cutting scene, another postcard in this set, is just up the hill from here.

(Information provided by Rosemary Lockie)

This is one of several old photographs acquired after a sort-out at the Peak National Park Authority's Study Centre.


Image contributed by Richard Campen on 29th October 2003.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Stoke/TanyardHill.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library