Swanwick

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

SWANWICK, a hamlet in the parish of ALFRETON, hundred of SCARSDALE, county of DERBY, 1 mile (S. by W.) from Alfreton, with which the population is returned. There are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyan Methodists. A free school, erected in 1740, was endowed by Mrs. Elizabeth Turner with £500, which was laid out in the purchase of a house and lands of the annual value of £60, now in the occupation of the schoolmaster, who educates forty children. In the neighbourhood are extensive collieries.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Swanwick/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library