Ticknall

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

TICKNALL, a parish in the hundred of REPTON-and-GRESLEY, county of DERBY, 5 miles (N. by W.) from Ashby de la Zouch, containing 1274 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Derby, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, endowed with £200 royal bounty, and £1200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of Sir George Crewe, Bart. The church, dedicated to St. Thomas a Becket, is partly in the early and partly in the later style of English architecture, and has lately been repaired and embellished, There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists.

Many of the inhabitants are employed at the extensive limeworks within the parish. A school-house was erected by Dame Catherine Harpur, who, in 1744, conveyed for its support land now producing an annual income of £25, for which forty boys are instructed: the premises were rebuilt, in 1825, at the expense of Sir George Crewe. An hospital for seven decayed housekeepers of Ticknall and Calke was founded, in 1771 by Charles Harpur, Esq., who gave £500 for building it, and endowed it with £2000; seven aged women at present enjoy the benefits of this charity. Ticknall is in the honour of Tutbury, duchy of Lancaster, and within the jurisdiction of a court of pleas held at Tutbury every third Tuesday, for the recovery of debts under 40s.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Ticknall/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library