Twyford

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

TWYFORD, a chapelry in that part of the parish of BARROW which is in the hundred of APPLETREE, county of DERBY, 5 miles (S.S.W.) from Derby, containing, with the township of Stenson, 235 inhabitants. The chapel is dedicated to St. Andrew. The Trent and Mersey canal passes through the parish. John Harpur and others, in 1696, bequeathed a rent-charge of £15, to be applied for teaching and apprenticing poor children, or towards then support, at the University.

STENSON, a township in that part of the parish of BARROW which is in the hundred of APPLETREE, county of DERBY, 4 miles (S.S.W.) from Derby. The population is returned with the chapelry of Twyford. The inhabitants are entitled to the benefit of Alsop's school at Findern.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Twyford/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library