Inside St John the Baptist's Church, Winster

Recent Photograph of Inside St John the Baptist's Church (Winster)

The church is one of what must be only a handful in the country with a double nave. The nave on the south belongs to the church's rebuilding of 1842-3, but the body of the church was extended northwards in 1883 to create “two identical naves divided by an arcade of slim, elegant arches (which) converge by means of diagonal arches at the east end to lead into the chancel”. So yes, it really is as it appears on this photograph! There is a small window on the south wall in the chancel by Bourne-Jones of 1887.

(Information provided by Rosemary Lockie)

Reference
Derbyshire Churches and Chapels.


Image contributed by Alf Beard on 9th June 2004.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Winster/StJohn2.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library