The Moot Hall, Wirksworth

Recent Photograph of The Moot Hall (Wirksworth)

Situated on Chapel Lane, this square building, built 1814/15, by which time lead mining was starting to decline, replaced an earlier, and by all accounts, a much bigger and grander Moot Hall near the Market Place. Here the Barmote Court sat to deal with lead mining disputes. Wirksworth is one of the few towns where the tradition continues, and the court still sits once a year.

And below are close-ups of the insignia plaques on either side of it, showing the lead miners' tools of the trade.

width="100%"
Wirksworth, The Moot Hall (Insignia Plaque)
width="50%"
Wirksworth, The Moot Hall (Insignia Plaque)

The plaque above the door reads:-

“This Hall was built by the direction
of the Right Honble Charles Bathurst
Chancellor of His Majesty's Duchy
& County palatine of Lancaster in the
LIV Year of the Reign of his Majesty
King GEORGE III AD MDCCCXIV”

(Information provided by Janet Kirk)


Image contributed by Janet Kirk on 7th September 2009.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Wirksworth/MootHall.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library