Youlgreave

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

YOULGRAVE, a parish comprising the chapelry of Middleton with Smerrill, and the township of Elton, in the hundred of WIRKSWORTH, and the chapelries of Birchover, Stanton, and Winster, the township of Youlgrave, and the hamlet of Gratton, in that of HIGH-PEAK, county of DERBY, and containing 3593 inhabitants, of which number 955 are in the township of Youlgrave, 3 miles (S. by W.) from Bakewell. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Derby, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, rated in the king's books at £9. 4. 7., endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Duke of Devonshire.

GRATTON, a hamlet in that part of the parish of YOULGRAVE which is in the hundred of HIGH-PEAK, county of DERBY, 5 miles (S. by W.) from Bakewell, containing 51 inhabitants.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Youlgreave/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library