Arlingham

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

ARLINGHAM, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of BERKELEY, county of GLOUCESTER, if mile (S.E. by E.) from Newnham, containing 715 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king's books at £19. 7. 8. Mrs. Rogers was patroness in 1814. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. Arlingham is situated on a nook of land, formed by a curvature of the river Severn, by which the parish is bounded on three sides. Mrs. Mary Yate, in 1765, endowed a school for boys and girls with a rent-charge of £40, of which she directed that £20 should be paid to the master, and £10 to the mistress, the remainder to be laid out in purchasing books: she also gave an additional rent-charge of £40 for the benefit of the poor.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Arlingham/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library