Ashchurch

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

ASHCHURCH, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of TEWKESBURY, county of GLOUCESTER, 2 miles (E.N.E.) from Tewkesbury, comprising the tythings of Aston upon Carron, Fiddington with Natton, Northway with Newton, and Pamington, and containing 64,3 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Rev. William Hopton. The church consists of a nave, chancel, and north aisle, with a tower at the west end, chiefly displaying the later English style, but having on the south side a Norman porch. The Carrant, a stream tributary to the Avon, flows through the parish, also a branch of the Cheltenham spring.

ASTON-upon-CARRON, a tything in the parish of ASHCHURCH, lower division of the hundred of TEWKESBURY, county of GLOUCESTER, 4 miles (E.N.E.) from Tewkesbury, containing 166 inhabitants.

FIDDINGTON, a tything, joint with Natton, in the parish of ASHCHURCH, lower division of the hundred of TEWKESBURY, county of GLOUCESTER, 3 miles (E. by S.) from Tewkesbury, containing 166 inhabitants.

NATTON, a tything, joint with Fiddington, in the parish of ASHCHURCH, lower division of the hundred of TEWKESBURY, county of GLOUCESTER, 2 miles (E.) from Tewkesbury. The population is returned with Fiddington.

NEWTON, a tything, joint with Northway, in the parish of ASHCHURCH, lower division of the hundred of TEWKESBURY, county of GLOUCESTER. The population is returned with Northway.

NORTHWAY, a tything, joint with Newton, in the parish of ASHCHURCH, lower division of the hundred of TEWKESBURY, county of GLOUCESTER, 2 miles (E. N.E.) from Tewkesbury, containing, with Newton, 185 inhabitants.

PAMINGTON, a tything in the parish of ASHCHURCH, hundred of TEWKESBURY, county of GLOUCESTER, 3 miles (E.) from Tewkesbury, containing 126 inhabitants.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Ashchurch/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library