Ashleworth

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

ASHELWORTH, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of BERKELEY, though locally in the hundred of Dudstone and King's Barton, county of GLOUCESTER, 5 miles (N. by W.) from Gloucester, containing 498 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king's books at £10. 2. 11., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Bristol. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, consists of a nave, south aisle, and two chancels, with a tower and spire, chiefly in the later English style. Several parts of the manor-house, which stands near the church, display considerable antiquity; and the parsonage, now a farm-house, affords a peculiarly fine specimen of wood work. The navigable river Severn skirts the parish on the south-east. The Sunday school has an endowment of £3 per annum, but is chiefly supported by subscription.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Ashleworth/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library