Avening

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

AVENING, a parish in the hundred of LONGTREE, county of GLOUCESTER, 3 miles (N.) from Tetbury, containing, exclusively of that part of the chapelry of Nailsworth which is in this parish, 1118 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king's books at £24, and in the patronage of the Rev. T. Brooks, L.L.D. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is supposed to have been built by the abbess of Caen in Normandy, to whom the manor belonged till the suppression of Alien priories, in the reign of Henry V. There is a place of worship for Particular Baptists. Here is an endowed school, in which six boys are clothed and educated.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Avening/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library