Awre

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

AWRE, a parish in the hundred of BLIDESLOE, county of GLOUCESTER, 2 miles (E.N.E.) from Blakeney, comprising the chapelry of Blakeney and the tythings of Blidesloe, Etloe, Etloe-Duchy, and Hagloe, and containing 1138 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the. archdeaconry of Hereford, and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king's books at £10. 5., and in the patronage of the Master and Wardens of the Haberdashers' Company. The church is dedicated to St. Andrew. This parish forms a promontory of the Severn. The port of Gatcomb, and a town named Pomerton, which were included within it, have both been entirely destroyed: there is a large common, still called the Old Wharf.

BLIDESLOE, a tything in the parish of AWRE, hundred of BLIDESLOE, county of GLOUCESTER. The population is returned with the parish.

ETLOE, a tything in the parish of AWRE, hundred of BLIDESLOE, county of GLOUCESTER, 1 mile (S.) from Blakeney. The population is returned with the parish.

HAGLOE, a tything in the parish of AWRE, hundred of BLIDESLOE, county of GLOUCESTER, f of a mile (E.S.E.) from Blakeney. The population is returned with the parish.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Awre/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library