Badgeworth

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

BADGEWORTH, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of DUDSTONE-and-KING'S-BARTON, county of GLOUCESTER, 4 miles (S.W. by W.) from Cheltenham, containing 715 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, with the perpetual curacy of Great Shurdington annexed, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king's books at £20. 11. 3., and in the patronage of W. Laurence Laurence, Esq.: there is also a sinecure rectory, in the patronage of the Principal and Fellows of Jesus' College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a handsome stone building, with a tower at the west end. There was formerly a chapel of ease at Bentham, in this parish.

The village, which tradition reports to have anciently been a market-town, was evidently much larger than it now is, from the foundations of houses which have been discovered in its vicinity. At Churchdown is a school for the instruction of children of that parish and Badgeworth, to which £25 per annum are paid out of an estate here, left for that purpose by William Window, Gent. The Rev. William Stanby, formerly vicar of this parish, demised an estate for apprenticing boys of the parishes of Badgeworth, Churchdown, and Cheltenham; and there are various minor charities for the benefit of the poor. On an estate called Cold Pool is a mineral spring, the water of which is similar to the Cheltenham waters.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Badgeworth/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library