Beckford

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

BECKFORD, a parish in the hundred of TIBALDSTONE, county of GLOUCESTER, 6 miles (E.N.E.) from Tewkesbury, containing, with the hamlets of Bengrave and Grafton, 442 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, with the perpetual curacy of Ashton under Hill annexed, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king's books at £16. 16. 10½, and in the patronage of the Rev. John Timbrill, D.D. The church, a very ancient structure, is dedicated to St. John the Baptist. Freestone abounds in the parish. Here was an Alien priory of Augustine canons, the revenue of which, at the dissolution, was £53. 6. 8.

GRAFTON, a township in the parish of BECKFORD, hundred of TIBALDSTONE, county of GLOUCESTER, 7 miles (N.E. by E.) from Tewkesbury. The population is returned with the parish. In 1764, in consequence, it is supposed, of some incessant rains, a tract of sixteen acres of land fell from the side of Breedon hill, and covered the fields at the bottom.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Beckford/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library