Beverstone

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

BEVERSTONE, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of BERKELEY, county of GLOUCESTER, 2 miles (W.N.W.) from Tetbury, containing 160 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, with the perpetual curacy of Kingscote annexed, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king's books at £30, and in the patronage of the Crown. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. One of the sources of the river Avon is in this parish, in which also there are quarries of stone used for roofing houses. Here are the remains of a moated castle, built by Thomas, Lord Berkeley, in the reign of Edward III., which, after repeated sieges, was taken and burnt in the early part of the parliamentary war. It is a noble ruin overgrown with ivy; and its chapel, still perfect, has a beautiful arched roof, a fine window, and an elegant shrine of tabernacle-work on the right hand side of the altar.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Beverstone/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library