Blakeney

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

BLAKENEY, a chapelry in the parish of AWRE, hundred of BLIDESLOE, county of GLOUCESTER, 15 miles (S.W. by W.) from Gloucester. The population is returned with the parish. The chapel, dedicated to All Saints, has lately been enlarged by the addition of five hundred sittings, three hundred and sixty-four of which are free, and towards defraying the expense the Incorporated Society for the enlargement of churches and chapels granted £110. There is a place of worship for Baptists. The navigable river Severn passes through the vicinity. Fairs for the sale of live-stock are held on April 23rd and November 12th.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Blakeney/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library