Brimscombe

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Gloucestershire, 1923.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2012

BRIMSCOMBE, with the hamlets of Burleigh, Wall's Quarry, Hyde and Cowcombe, is a tithing, village and separate ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1840 from the parishes of Minchinhampton and Rodborough, but for all civil purposes part of the parishes of Minchinhampton and Rodborough; it is on the Thames and Severn canal, the river Frome forming the boundary on the Stroud and Chalford side, and the high road from Stroud to Cirencester over Minchinhampton Common the boundary on the south side; it has a station, called Brimscombe, in the parish of Thrupp, on the Swindon, Stroud and Gloucester section of the Great Western railway, 99 miles from London, 2¼ south-east from Stroud and 12 south-by-east from Gloucester, and is in the Stroud division of the county, hundred of Longtree, union and county court district of Stroud, petty sessional division of Horsley, rural deanery of Stonehouse and archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester.

The church of the Holy Trinity, erected in the year 1839, is a building of stone in the Norman style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a turret over the porch containing a clock and 4 bells: a new organ was erected in 1897, at a cost of £210, as a memorial of the Diamond Jubilee of H.M. Queen Victoria: the church was re-pewed, new roofed, an organ chamber added, the gallery rebuilt and the entrance doors altered in 1881, at a cost of about £800, and various restorations were carried out during 1909 at a total cost of £450: here are 350 sittings. The register dates from the year 1841. The living is a perpetual curacy, net yearly value £300, including 26 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Sellwood trustees, and held since 1896 by the Rev. William Morris Butcher M.A. of Hatfield Hall, Durham. There is also a Wesleyan chapel. Lt.-Col. Henry George Ricardo D.S.O., J.P. is lord of the manor. Edward Fiennes Elton esq. is the chief landowner. The soil is loamy; subsoil, oolite rock. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley and pasture. The area is 1,002 acres; the population in 1911 was 1,491.

BURLEIGH hamlet is a mile south. Burleigh Court is the residence of Edward Fiennes Elton esq.; COWCOMBE hamlet, 2 miles east; HYDE hamlet, 1¼ miles south-east.
[Kelly's Directory of Gloucestershire, 1923]

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Brimscombe/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library