Bussage

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Gloucestershire, 1923.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2012

BUSSAGE is an ecclesiastical parish, formed Aug. 29, 1848, from the old parish of Bisley, but now, under Order of Local Government Board, Nov. 21, 1894, forms part of the new civil parish of Chalford; it is 2 miles north from Brimscombe station on the Swindon, Stroud and Gloucester branch of the Great Western railway and 4 south-east from Stroud, in the Stroud division of the county, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Stroud, rural deanery of Bisley and archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester. The church of St. Michael and All Angels, erected in 1848, is a building of stone in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, south aisle, south porch and a western tower containing one bell: there are 300 sittings. The register dates from the year 1848. The living is a perpetual curacy, net yearly value £170, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Gloucester, and held since 1921 by the Rev. Herbert Pulman Barchard B.A. of Brasenose College, Oxford, who resides at Brownhill. The land is mostly used for pasture. The population in 1911 was 266.

TOADSMOOR is included in this parish.
[Kelly's Directory of Gloucestershire, 1923]

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Bussage/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library