Charlton Kings

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

CHARLTON (KING'S), a parish in the hundred of CHELTENHAM, county of GLOUCESTER, 2 miles (S.S.E.) from Cheltenham, containing 1607 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, endowed with £1400 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Principal and Fellows of Jesus' College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has lately received an addition of two hundred and twenty sittings, of which one hundred and sixty are free, the Incorporated Society for the enlargement of churches and chapels having granted £200 toward defraying the expense. There is a place of worship for Baptists. A manorial court is annually held.

The sum of £6 a year is paid to a schoolmaster for the instruction of six poor children, out of the rental of land producing £30 per annum, given by Samuel Cooper, about the year 1743; the remainder is applied to the relief of the poor. A day and Sunday school, in which upwards of one hundred children are taught, is supported by subscription. The amount of divers benefactions has also been laid out in the purchase of land, now producing £39 a year, which is distributed among the deserving poor. The new road to Cirencester passes through the parish. There is a hill called Battledowns, the scene of a battle during the parliamentary war, in which many of the inhabitants who adhered to the royal cause were slain. A mineral spring, similar in its properties to the Cheltenham water, has been lately discovered in this parish.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/CharltonKings/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library