Churcham with Bulley

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

CHURCHAM, a parish partly in the lower division of the hundred of DUDSTONE-and-KING'S-BARTON, but chiefly in the hundred of WESTBURY, county of GLOUCESTER, 4 miles (W. by N.) from Gloucester, containing, with the hamlets of Highnam, Over, and Linton, 733 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Hereford, and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king's books at £20. 5., and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Gloucester. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is a small edifice, with some remains of Norman architecture. There is a chapel of ease at Bulley, in this parish.

BULLEY, a chapelry in the parish of CHURCHAM, duchy of LANCASTER, county of GLOUCESTER, Similes (S.E. by S.) from Newent, containing 237 inhabitants. The chapel is a small edifice, chiefly in the Norman style of architecture, a fine specimen of which may be seen in the arch between the nave and the chancel.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Churcham/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library