Cromhall

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

CROMHALL (ABBOT'S), a parish in the upper division of the hundred of BERKELEY, locally in the lower division of the hundred of Thornbury, county of GLOUCESTER, 2 miles (N.W. by W.) from Wickwar, containing, with the tything of Lygon-Cromhall, 703 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king's books at £16. 9. 2., and in the patronage of the Provost and Fellows of Oriel College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is partly in the early and partly in the later style of English architecture. The prefix to the name of this parish arises from its having belonged to the abbot and convent of St. Augustine, in Bristol, to which society it was given by Lord Berkeley, in 1148. A coal mine has been lately opened in the neighbourhood.

CROMHALL (LYGON), a tything in the parish of ABBOT'S-CROMHALL, upper division of the hundred of BERKELEY, county of GLOUCESTER, 4 miles (N.W) from Wickwar. The population is returned with the parish. This place derives its distinguishing name from having anciently belonged to the family of Lygon.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Cromhall/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library