Deerhurst

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

DEERHURST, a parish partly in the lower division of the hundred of DEERHURST, and partly in the lower division of the hundred of WESTMINSTER, county of GLOUCESTER, 2 miles (S.W.) from Tewkesbury, containing, with the hamlets of Apperley with Whitefield, and Deerhurst-Walton, 742 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, within the jurisdiction of the peculiar court of Deerhurst, endowed with £600 royal bounty, and £1400 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Bishop of Gloucester. The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, and exhibiting portions in the Norman, the early English, and the decorated, styles of architecture, formerly belonged to a priory established about 715, by the Mercian duke, Doddo, one of the founders, of Tewkesbury abbey: this priory having been destroyed by the Danes, was re-founded in 980, and given by Edward the Confessor to the Benedictine abbey of St. Denis, in France, to which it became a cell; upon the seizure of Alien priories it was granted to Eton College, but Edward IV., revoking that grant, made it a cell to the abbey of Tewkesbury, and so it remained till the dissolution: the remains of the structure, which have been converted into a farm-house, are in the later style of English architecture, much enriched with decorated tracery. The navigable river Severn, flows along the western boundary of the parish. Deerhurst gives the title of viscount to. the noble family of Coventry.

WALTON, or DEERHURST-WALTON, a hamlet in that part of the parish of DEERHURST which is in the lower division of the hundred of WESTMINSTER, county of GLOUCESTER, 3 miles (S.) from Tewkesbury, containing 173 inhabitants.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Deerhurst/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library