Driffield

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

DRIFFIELD, a parish in the hundred of CROWTHORNE-and-MINETY, county of GLOUCESTER, 4 miles (E.S.E.) from Cirencester, containing 144 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king's books at £8. 2. 3., and in the patronage of T. Smith, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. A free school was founded in 1825, by Arthur Vansittart, Esq. and Susannah Cumberland, the former granting a messuage and garden, and the latter bestowing £300, the interest of which, together with other voluntary contributions, is applied to the instruction of about twenty children on the National system.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Driffield/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library