Dumbleton

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

DUMBLETON, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of KIFTSGATE, county of GLOUCESTER, 6 miles (N. by W.) from Winchcombe, containing 374 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king's books at £18. 16. 8. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, has an embattled tower at the west end. A rivulet, called the Isborn, runs through the parish; and on the side of a hill a mineral spring rises. Dorothy Cocks, in 1754, bequeathed £2 per annum for teaching children to read; and Richard Cocks, in 1728, gave an estate at Tainton, worth £21 per annum, part for apprenticing a boy, and the remainder to the poor not receiving alms.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Dumbleton/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library