Dymock

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

DYMOCK, a parish in the hundred of BOTLOE, county of GLOUCESTER, 3 miles (N.N.W.) from Newent, containing 1558 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Hereford, and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king's books at £9. 13. 9, endowed with £800 parliamentary grant. A. Thompson, Esq. was patron in 1827. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. This place, supposed to derive its name from the Saxon dim, dark, and Ac, oak, was formerly of considerable extent and importance; as, in the reign of Henry III., it had the privilege of a market and three fairs, all long since disused. In the parliamentary war it was garrisoned for the king. A considerable quantity of cider and perry is made here. The Herefordshire and Gloucestershire canal, and the river Leden, pass through the parish.

Two school-rooms for fifty boys and fifty girls, with residences for the master and mistress, were erected in 1825, at an expense of £1200, being a portion of the produce of a bequest in 1779, by Mrs. Ann Cam, the remaining sum (nearly £3000), being invested in the Bank three per cent annuities, and the interest of it applied to the purposes of the charity; the school is conducted on the National plan, and, so far as the funds will allow, the children are provided with clothing. A rent-charge of £3 per annum was bequeathed in 1734, by William Hooper, which is also applied to the support of this school. Ten men and ten women are clothed annually from a bequest by Mr. Wintour, made about a century ago. This is the birth-place of John Kvrle, the benevolent original of Pope's "Man of Ross".

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Dymock/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library