Eastington by Stonehouse

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

EASTINGTON, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of WHITSTONE, county of GLOUCESTER, comprising the tythings of Alkerton and Eastington, and containing 1681 inhabitants, of which number, 718 are in the tything of Eastington, 5 miles (W. by N.) from Stroud. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king's books at £32. 14. 9. The Rev. R. Huntley was patron in 181?. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. A free school for about seventy children was established by subscription in 1764. During the civil war this place was garrisoned for the parliament.

ALKERTON, a tything in the parish of EASTINGTON, lower division of the hundred of WHITSTONE, county of GLOUCESTER, 3 miles (W.) from Stroud, containing 963 inhabitants.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/EastingtonStonehouse/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library