Elberton

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

ELBERTON, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of BERKELEY, county of GLOUCESTER, 2½ miles (S.W.) from Thornbury, containing 203 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, consolidated in 1767 with the vicarage of Olveston, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Bishop of Bristol, rated in the king's books at £6. 12. 6., endowed with £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Bristol, and the Bishop of Bristol, the former having two turns, and the latter one. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has a central tower with a spire, and was probably erected in the thirteenth century. East of the village are some remains of a Roman intrenched camp, supposed to have been constructed for the protection of the trajectus, or ferry, at Aust; it was a regular parallelogram, enclosing two acres.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Elberton/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library