Flaxley

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

FLAXLEY, a parish in the hundred of ST-BRIAVELLS, county of GLOUCESTER, 3 miles (N. by E.) from Newnham, containing 196 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Hereford, and diocese of Gloucester. Sir T. Crawley was patron in 1810. In the reign of Stephen, an abbey for Cistercian monies, dedicated to the Blessed Virgin, was built here by Roger Fitz-Milo, second earl of Hereford, the revenue of which at the dissolution amounted to £112. 13. 1.: the chief part was burnt down in 1777 There are establishments for smelting iron-ore, and works which produce weekly twenty tons of pig iron of excellent quality: the wheels which set in motion the bellows and hammers are turned by a powerful stream of water, which falls into the Severn near Newnham.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Flaxley/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library