Forthampton

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

FORTHAMPTON, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of TEWKESBURY, county of GLOUCESTER, 2 miles (W.) from Tewkesbury, containing 474 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, endowed with £1400 private benefaction, £1000 royal bounty, and £600 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of J. Yorke, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The navigable river Severn runs through the parish, and frequently inundates the meadows on its banks. Forthampton court, a private mansion, was formerly the residence of the abbots of Tewkesbury.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Forthampton/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library